My post title shows my opinion of the two items I’m going to post about here. Don’t love ’em, don’t hate ’em – just Meh!
Front – unbelted
Front – belted
I haven’t yet decided what to do at the neckline. It is too high on me so I may have to do some cutting and playing to make this feel comfortable.
The neckline at the back of this dress was huge. I nearly called it a wadder at that stage (before I’d cut out or set in the sleeves), but Mr RTS remembered that I’d had a similar problem with a dress last summer and I’d solved it by putting darts in at the neckline (nice to know he pays attention sometimes:)). So I put in a couple of short darts between the shoulders and the zip and this cured the problem somewhat.
Please ignore the mess I made of the top of the zip. By this stage it was already a “meh!” item and I just couldn’t be bothered to unpick and redo the top-stitching.
I didn’t have enough of the main fabric for the sleeves, but the set of fabrics I had bought included one that is intended to be made into a Dupatta. This fabric is a sheerer version of the fabric I was going to use for the matching trousers so I used it for the sleeves of the tunic.
The sleeves look much nicer when the tunic is being worn because they go “pouffy” at the wrists. I am having a “bad me” day so I didn’t want to take any photos wearing it so you’ll just have to use your imagination.
I think this needs quite a bit of tweeking before I’d be happy to wear it. As I said, I will have to do something with the neckline because it’s too wide. It can’t be worn open because it isn’t designed to be worn that way and just looks sloppy:
I have a little bit of fabric left over so I might sew the open neck closed, curve it off, and then bind it. As it was I had to sew the centre front seam 14cm higher than the pattern markings!
I should have used the “Mena Test” and not bothered to put in a zip because I can easily get this on without using it. I suppose I should remove it and sew up the centre back seam, but again – meh! – can’t be bothered. I also think it needs to be a little shorter, or maybe even a lot shorter so that it is more of a tunic than a dress, but I’ll play around with the neckline first because until I’ve sorted that out I won’t be wearing it.
I’m not as completely disappointed as I may appear from what I’ve written above. I’ve been sewing a lot of TNTs recently and had got a bit bored with sewing. Making this dress/tunic has given me a bit of my mojo back – so it wasn’t a waste of time. I won’t, however, be making the trousers as planned because 1) there’s a good possibility I won’t wear the tunic, and 2) they’d be too matchy-matchy with the sleeves and I’d probably feel like I was wearing a costume.
My review of it on Pattern Review is here.
The second thing I finished yesterday was a bag that I cut out last summer – Simplicity 2685. I bought the fabric for this absolutely ages ago and between buying, cutting out and finally sewing I’d stopped liking it. It feels a bit too “Becky-home-ecky” to me now – I probably bought it when I was fairly new to sewing and was buying too many “ooohhh – pretty” fabrics, rather than “will I actually wear/use that” fabrics. The only reason I finally got around to sewing it is because it was already cut out and I wanted something to sew using Margot to see how she would handle. I’m pleased to report that she’s absolutely fabulous. I sewed the whole bag on her, other than finishing a couple of the seams on my serger. I had a little bit of trouble with curved stitching at the ends of the handles but that is down to operator error and not the machine. I did find it strange only having one hand available to guide the fabric, remove pins, etc, but I know I’ll get used to it.
(Mum, if you’re reading- be warned – the next photos contain pink :).)
So, here is the bag.
Here’s one a bit closer that shows some of the top-stitching on the handles.
And, finally, an uber-closeup showing the top-stitching.
Margot was brilliant to sew with. At one point during the construction of this bag there are four layers of fabric, including two with heavy-weight interfacing, and sewing felt the same as when I was just sewing two layers of thin cotton. I think I’m going to sew more with Margot than I originally thought because it was just such a pleasure to sew with her. The only thing I won’t be able to do is anything using a fine fabric because I don’t seem to be able to buy needles any finer than a 12/80.
So, after all that, I have at least sewn one of my 48 Burda projects – just 47 to go!
Stash update – 2.5m for the tunic and 2m for the bag. The bag doesn’t use anywhere near 2m but I bought 1m each of the two contrasting fabrics and cutting out the bag doesn’t leave anything but large scraps. So that’s reduced my stash to 245.75m.