I’m trying to get my blogging up to date before I embark on my next round of Burda sewing so this is yet another post about something I’ve made recently. I couldn’t post about it before because it was a present for my mother-in-law and, although I’m sure she doesn’t read this blog, I didn’t want to take any chances.
I saw some fabric a few weeks ago that made me immediately think of my mother-in-law because she used to collect teapots. I didn’t buy it at the time because I wasn’t sure if she no longer collected them because she didn’t like them, or just because she had moved house and didn’t have as much room. Mr RTS asked her and it turns out she still likes teapots so I went back and bought the fabric. It was a cutesy fabric so I wanted to make a cutesy apron with it. I’ve sewn the pattern (Simplicity 4987) a couple of times before, for myself, so it was yet another TNT. Here’s the result:
I rarely sew for anyone but myself (don’t want the stress) but making something like this as a surprise is fun.
I always buy a bit more fabric than a pattern calls for because I hate following cutting layouts so I ended up with enough to make a tea-towel/cloth/tray cover/whatever.
I made the bias-binding from the same scrap fabric I used for the piping on the belt posted about here. I was then able to use the tea-towel as wrapping for the apron, with the addition of a piece of ribbon:
I might not have thought of wrapping it this way, but it is her birthday this week and, although we don’t usually do presents, my making this was fortuitous timing so I wrapped it as a present. Mr RTS delivered it to her this weekend and she apparently loves it.