First of all I want to say how much I appreciate all the sympathy I received about my sewing “disaster” in the comments on my last post. I don’t reply often enough to comments, but I do read and really appreciate them. I am also really chuffed at being given a blog award (my first!!), and I will accept it properly very soon. Thank you Sew Skate Read.
I’m going to start with the “other stuff” and then get to the Burda Challenge update.
I really understood this weekend why a muslin is sometimes important, if not essential, because I made this:
(I am laughing, not just smiling, in this photo – Mr RTS nearly couldn’t get a photo at all because we were both laughing so much at just how bad this is.) I’ve occasionally seen on sewing blogs where the poster writes that their garment looks much worse in real life, and I’ve never really believed it – until I saw the photos of this dress – it definitely looks worse in real life. Mr RTS and I played around with shots to try and get a photo of the horror of this dress on me, but this was the worst we could get, and although it’s bad, it doesn’t show the real horror! (BTW, I’m not posing with my hand on my hip, I’m holding the side seam closed.) I think the photo below is about the worst we could get.
I’m just happy that this was a muslin (made from a second-hand quilt cover that cost me the huge price of £0.99).
This was one of those risky patterns that I bought because it was cute, although it only has a drawing on the front. It’s Vogue V8728.
It’s actually a great pattern – the instructions are clear, every marking you could ever want is there, and it even has a pattern included to make shoulder pads. I’ve seen some brilliant versions made on patternreview. It just looks really bad on me.
I’m very happy with the belt. I also managed to deal with the slight gaping at the centre front of the dress by simply stitching a 3cm line straight down from the centre front and then gathering it and tying the threads off at the back. This has turned it from a “might never wear” to a “probably will wear” dress.
The two dresses above have reminded me why I stopped sewing dresses and started sewing separates. Separates are so much easier to fit. I did a load of cutting out last week and today (maybe yesterday, or even tomorrow, depending where you are in the world) I sewed two of the garments. The first was a TNT t-shirt.
The pattern for this isn’t even supposed to be an outerwear t-shirt – it’s a pattern for a PJ set – Simplicity 3696.
This is one of my most used patterns. I have made the mid-length version in a size L, with short sleeves and without the ruffle, as a nightie (twice). I have also made the t-shirt with the long sleeves as an outerwear top using the size M (three times). The top above is the short-sleeved t-shirt in a size M that I will wear as outerwear. I’ve also cut it out yet again in the mid-length, in a size L as yet another nightie. Patterns like this are why I love sewing.
If you are observant then you may have noticed that this is the same fabric I used for my cowl-neck top. There is a very good reason for this. I originally intended to make a simple t-shirt with the turquoise/white polka dot fabric so I only bought 1m. I then realised that I really wanted to make the cowl-neck top from My Image magazine which had long sleeves so 1m of fabric wouldn’t be enough. This meant I had to buy more fabric and as it wasn’t easy to work out how much more I would need I simply bought another metre. After cutting out and sewing the first top, I ended up with enough fabric for the second. Two metres, two tops – brilliant!
This first photo shows the colour of the fabric best (the flash in the next photos makes it look too turquoise, it is more of a teal).
I love this skirt. The position of the taupe roses is mildly annoying, but I mentioned that in my previous post about this fabric.
I do have to say that this Burda pattern didn’t fit me in my usual size 40 (which was disappointing). The great thing was that the pleats made it very easy to alter – although I then had to cut new back and front facings, plus interfacing for the facings. This will probably become a TNT pattern because I really like the idea of making at least one more in white – I need a summer skirt to go with the turquoise and white polka t-shirt above as a previously sewn white skirt is now too big for me.
I absolutely love the pockets on this skirt. I hope this photo shows a pocket, but it was hard to photograph with this fabric.
Sewing this skirt has reminded me why I started my Burda Challenge in the first place. It forces me to sew something that I might not have really considered, or sew something that I like but don’t get around to sewing. I really like this skirt but I’m fairly sure that my challenge is the only reason I actually sewed it.
Stash update: that’ll have to be in the next post because I haven’t updated my notebooks yet.
Someone commented recently that she felt she should maybe know how much stash she has – you don’t need to know unless you want to. I only know because I need to know how much each project costs me to sew. That means I keep track of the cost of my fabric purchases. I’m strange 🙂 I also don’t buy any new clothes. This year the only clothes that have been added to my wardrobe have been either sewn by me, or are clothes my mum would have given to a charity shop (I’m lucky that I get first dibs), or I have bought from a chariy shop (so far this year – 1 skirt for £5). That’s why I keep track of my stash.