I have had a very unproductive month so far. Two muslins that didn’t work, one top that ended up being a PJ top, one top I do like, and a completed dress that didn’t work. So that’s five garments sewn and only one ended up in my wardrobe!
My mum brought some bags of clothes over for me to go through yesterday. She was having a sort out of her wardrobes and I get first dibs before they go to the charity shop. We are similar sizes and have a lot of clothing tastes in common so my wardrobe is often expanded whenever she has a sort out. These bags of clothes had lots I decided to keep (thanks Mum :)), including a skirt that she had made. I loved the fabric, but didn’t really like the style of skirt, so I put it to one side hoping that I could get my TNT Burda pattern out of the skirt.
I had to play fast and loose with grainlines, but I just managed to squeeze the pattern pieces onto the skirt. This ended up being totally free. I didn’t even have to use interfacing for the waistband because Mum’s skirt had a quite wide yoke that was already interfaced and I was able to get the waistband pieces for my skirt cut out of the already interfaced pieces. I didn’t re-use the zip from the original skirt because it was a normal zip and I wanted to use an invisible, but that just meant I swapped one zip for another in my stash. For the lining I found some large scraps of white polycotton in my stash and I’m sure, given the size of the pieces, that I must have already costed the original price of that fabric into whichever garment it was that yielded the scraps.
So, here’s yet another Burda 02-2010-104. This is the fifth time I’ve sewn this pattern since starting this blog and I think I probably sewed it at least four times pre-blog. It always takes me longer to make that I expect because I always underestimate how much time it takes to add the lining, but it still only takes about four hours start to finish (and I never rush).
It’s not perfect, mainly because of my not being able to cut out the pieces on proper grainlines – one of the pockets gapes a bit, and the hem looks a bit wiggly (although it is technically straight) – but I like it, and it fits me. I should perhaps have hand-sewn an invisible hem, but I wanted a quick and easy project, and hand-sewing is something I try to do as little as possible. If the machine sewn hem bothers me then I’ll unpick and hand sew it at some point in the future.
The fabric is some sort of polyester, but it’s the nice floaty kind, not the horrible sticky kind, and the polycotton lining feels more cotton than poly so it’ll hopefully be a nice, airy summer skirt. I’ve no idea how the off-grain pieces will behave when it’s washed but at least I’ll get a couple of wears out of it before I have to worry about that.