A little bit of sewing and a little bit of spending.

I have managed to sew a few things since my last post so here they are.  First up is my first attempt at a My Image pattern.  It’s MI1152, and I absolutely love the pattern.  I have only photographed the result on Dolly and a hanger because the fabric I picked is a little too flimsy and shows every lump and bump on me.  The pattern is brilliant and I will definitely be making it again. I’m also fairly sure that it looks pretty good on me, but taking a still with a camera is not the best way to show it off.

The pattern was from one of the early issues of My Image magazine and I have to say that their translated instructions were not great (but they are getting better and better with each issue).  However, I was lucky enough to read Melissa’s tutorial for the neckline and this became something that was sooooo easy to sew.

Next up is a Burda Challenge garment.  It is the over-sized T-shirt from the 03-2010 issue.  Well, I have to say that it is really, really over-sized.  I’ll admit that I traced a size bigger than I normally sew (don’t know why – my brain obviously went back two years), but even given that it is way too big.

The entire time I was sewing this I was humming “What a Feeling” from Flashdance, because it is just soooooooooooooooooooo 80s.  I said in my last post that this might become a PJ top and that is what it is.  If I were 20 years younger I might wear it outside, but I’m 45, so it’s a PJ top (I already did the 80s :)).  I also said that it would be a muslin for the long-sleeved version and now I know that I have to trace two sizes smaller for that version. That, however, now won’t happen until autumn.  I was all fired up to sew this again, smaller, in the black and cream stripey jersey that I bought but I don’t see myself wearing that until autumn so have lost all interest in sewing it right now.

The last garment sewn is a muslin for 03-2012-108 (the twisty-front dress).

I love the idea of this dress, but it just does not work for me.  If I really, really loved it I might bother to work out the fitting issues, but to be honest I live in the UK and will very rarely want to wear a sleeveless dress.  Given how few days a sleeveless dress is practical here, I can’t be bothered to work out how to get this dress to actually fit me.  The muslin was too tight around the ribcage (easy to fix), a little too long (easy to fix) and had a gapey plunge neckline down to my waist (not so easy to fix), and the shoulders want to fall off (not easy to fix).  The versions I have seen of this online have been in stretch fabrics, not a woven so I can see where I went wrong. I’m classing this as another “done” for my Burda Challenge.

So, that’s it for the sewing. I’ve also increased my stash, yet again.

First up is a gorgeous viscose, with sparkly bits.

This did not photograph as nicely as it looks in real life.  The tiny dots you can see in the photo are sparkly silver bits that are really shiny.  I have no idea what this will become, but I bought four metres (it was on sale) so I have a lot of options.

The second fabric is this jersey.

I bought the last of the bolt so only got 1.3m.  It’ll be a t-shirt of some desciption.

I have been a lot more spendy recently – and that will be my next post (which I’m going to write right now (because I can’t sleep).

 

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Burda Challenge, Finished Projects, Sewing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to A little bit of sewing and a little bit of spending.

  1. Sewingelle says:

    We readers did well today! Three reviews and two new fabrics in one post and then another post the same day! I have just bought the My Image Winter 11/12 just for that cowl neck top. Good to see that your version looks good too.

    Shame that the twist dress form Burda isn’t a winner for you. That style does look a bit tricky though.

  2. T. Sedai says:

    Oooh, your new tops look great! And I love your new fabrics too! Too bad you are having such a problem with the twist-top dress – I had the same fit issues on mine. I had to cut the shoulders down by an inch on the front and back, and also take in the back piece by an inch at the neck and taper to nothing at the seam edge. Though I agree that making it in stretch fabric probably did help eliminate some of the fit issues, and if you don’t really have any need for a sleeveless dress, then it might not be worth making the alterations. But, I bet if you wanted to tweak the fit then you could probably get it to work for you.

    • I have a feeling that for me the pattern needs some form of FBA (for a woven fabric) and I can’t even begin to work out how to go about doing one on those weird pattern pieces. I suspect that I could try just a few tweeks to get it to work with a stretch fabric and if I find the right fabric I might give it another go. I do have some really cheap, weird stretch fabric that I use for stretch muslins, so I might whip up another muslin in that if I can get enthusiastic enough to give it another go.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s