I haven’t touched anything sewing related (other than sorting out a few fabrics) since the end of January. I know that’s only six days but that’s a long time for me. For some reason, I can’t get going with my February plans so I though I’d at least get them posted which may give me the kick in the behind that I need.
February is quite an easy month for my Burda Challenge. I own the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 issues of the magazine but I’ve already sewn from the 2009 issue (items 106 – my review of that one is here, and 107 – no review or photos but the Burda archive link is here). From the 2010 issue I have sewn the 02-2010-104 skirt at least half a dozen times. This leaves three issues to sew from, but there is nothing in the current issue that really calls my name. I really like a couple of the dresses but, if I’m honest, I’d never wear them and I don’t want to waste my time on items that’ll just hang in my wardrobe until I give them away.
So that just leaves me with 2008 and 2011. From 2008 I plan to make this blouse.
The fabric I’ve chosen is a remnant left over from a previous project (made pre-blog and not photographed yet). I think it’s a crepe-de-chine.
I’m not completely sure that the blouse is a style I will wear which is why I am using a remnant. I’m trying to use the challenge to step out of my clothing comfort zone a little.
For 2011 I have picked a dress, but will be making one very significant change.
The skirt for this dress is basically just two rectangles sewn at the side seams then gathered to the waist. On me I know this style would look like a sack of spuds tied in the middle (i.e. not remotely flattering) but another blogger (my apologies that I cannot remember who) has made a version of this dress replacing the gathered skirt with a half circle skirt. This gave me an ah-ha moment and I realised that it might work if I used the 04-2007-104 skirt.
I have made this skirt in the past (again pre-blog) and really like it.
I will have to re-trace the skirt because the one I am wearing in the above photos is too big – hence the wide belt. The fabric I have picked is a cotton that is a little on the stiff side, but this skirt is cut on the bias so I’m hoping that will help it drape nicely. I bought the fabric for another project that I’m never going to make (I seem to type that far too often).
This is another one of those fabrics I bought when I was still in the “ooohhh, pretty” phase of my sewing, rather than the “will I really wear that” phase I’ve moved to.
So, for February I just have to sew two garments for the challenge. That should be easy, I hope!
If I’m really in the mood I might re-trace the 01-2012-122 trousers in a larger size and have another go at them.
I do have some other, non-Burda, plans for the month but I’ll put those in a separate post.