I bet you thought I had given up on my Burda Challenge – but you would be wrong. I’ve had the last two garments for January cut out for a while now, but I was more interested in sewing Vogue 1247 to get around to sewing them.
I decided this evening to get on with the denim skirt and although I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago I had to stay up to finish it.
I love, love, love this skirt more than you can imagine. It’s made from a very soft, very unstable stretch denim which means it’s as comfortable as a very comfortable thing. Now I’ve taken the photos I don’t love it in the side view, but I am amazed how it makes my waist look in the front and back views (and did I mention that it’s really, really comfortable).
I’m wearing it with a Burda top that I made a while ago. I was already wearing the grey tights so I picked the top out just because it’s grey. It’s not one of my favourites because it’s a bit too big, but I’ve since made the same top twice in a smaller size and I love it (blogged about them here).
Some of the topstitching is slightly dodgy because I am still getting to grips with Margot. On stable pieces she performed beautifully, but the stretch denim was a bit difficult. I don’t blame her though – when she was “born” (around 1925) I don’t think stretch fabrics even existed.
The pocket flap is interfaced so the topstitching is lovely and even, but the seam above the pocket is on a curve of the stretch fabric and is a lot less even and a bit puckery. I would have unpicked it and tried again, but I’ve run out of thread. Fortunately when I wear the skirt my hips stretch out both the fabric and the topstitching so I think it looks ok :).
This was a surprisingly easy Burda pattern to follow. I had to rely on the instructions because the construction of this skirt was new to me, and the Burda instructions actually made sense. The only thing I didn’t like was how the inside looks. I already knew that it wouldn’t look good because the one review at patternreview mentions it. It really is a mess and if I make this skirt again I might do something about it.
I’m not, however, one of those people who needs garments to look as good on the inside as the outside so it’s not that important to me. The interfacing I’ve used was cheaper than the Vilene I usually buy but it was the only one my fabric shop had in stock. I was surprised to discover that after interfacing the stretch denim it still had quite a lot of its stretch, and the interfacing seems to be holding. It may disintegrate after a few washes, and I’m sure this skirt will get a lot of washes because I already want to wear it all the time. I am hoping that this is one of those skirts that will get better and better the more it is washed because it’s denim (although I have real doubts about the quality of the denim). We’ll see.
Stash update – 1.5m used (the skirt doesn’t use 1.5m but there were some horrible bleached out lines in the fabric that I had to cut around so there was a lot of waste.). Stash is now at 240.50m.