Burda 11-2008-112 (5 of 6 plans sewn)

I’ve managed to finish another of my original six plans using the green brushed viscose from this post.  The pattern used was from Burda magazine – 11-2008-112 (there is also a sleeveless version, but I was hoping to make a winter dress).  I was hoping to make a wearable muslin and this is sort of wearable.  It is a little on the snug side and, as I mentioned in the earlier post, this fabric does have a tendency to shred at the seams so I think it might be a bit risky to wear the dress.  Here it is, very blurry, on me:

I will hopefully, soon find a way to take photos of garments on myself.  Unfortunately my flat is very small and the only full length mirror I have is tucked away in the corner of the bedroom with no decent light. If I use the flash I get the common problem of just getting a photo of the reflection of the flash, and if I don’t use a flash, I get blurry photos like this one.

Here are a couple of better photos of the dress on Dolly:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Front

Back

Excuse the bad ironing on the seams. As I’m fairly sure I’m not going to wear this I didn’t bother giving it a final proper ironing when it was finished.  If I do decide to wear it, I need to re-do the hem because I did a simple top-stitched hem that doesn’t look at all good. It’ll also need a slip, or a skirt lining inserted, because the fabric is thinner than I would like and I think it’ll cling to tights.

I will definitely be making another version of this if I can find the right fabric. I think it needs something like a lightweight suiting with a bit of cross-wise stretch. I’ve added the details to my To Buy list and will see what I can find next time I go fabric shopping.  Unfortunately, the fabric I had planned to make it in once I’d made the muslin has no stretch and I don’t want to risk using it on a dress that may be too uncomfortable to wear. I could fiddle around and make the pattern a little larger, but I think it is supposed to be a slim fit so I think I’ll try the different fabric option instead.

This now means I have sewn five of my six original plans that I wrote about when I started this blog a couple of weeks ago.  I haven’t yet posted about the brown jersey top because I haven’t got photos.

The only thing outstanding from those original six is the coat (fabric details here).  I have cut out the muslin, but haven’t got any further. It hasn’t helped that my mum recently gave me a lovely coat (thanks mum :)) that pretty much fills the gap in my outerwear wardrobe that this coat was supposed to fill, so I’ve lost the incentive to get on with it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Finished Projects, Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Burda 11-2008-112 (5 of 6 plans sewn)

  1. SewingElle says:

    I’ve always admired this pattern, but haven’t got around to making it up. Looks like its a good one! Thanks for your review of it.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s