I got up this morning fully intending to get on with sewing at least one of the garments that I cut out a couple of days ago. I first decided to get dressed in something I haven’t worn for a while and picked out a brown top with a sequined and beaded neckline that I bought a few years ago, that for some reason I don’t remember wearing for a long time. Putting it on I discover why I haven’t worn it – because it looks like this:
Here it is on Dolly
It is basically a sack with some beads around the neckline!
Instead of just sticking it back in the wardrobe, I decided to attempt some alterations to see if I could make it wearable. I first cut the side seams and removed the sleeves:
then used the pieces from a t-shirt pattern I know I like – New Look 6430 (bottom view without the ruching)
I folded the cut up top in half, lengthways, and put the front pattern piece on it as best I could
I was hoping to get away without cutting the shoulder seams, but the original top was just so big all over, I ended up having to cut new seamlines for the shoulders as well as for the sides. In this photo you’ll see my stupid error. For some reason I thought “I’m making this from an old top, so I must remove the seam allowance from the centre front.” Obviously, being a t-shirt pattern there was no centre front seam allowance because it’s cut on the fold so I accidentally removed a few cm more from the front of the top than I should have. It would have been nice if I’d noticed this before cutting the front and not while I was pinning the back pattern piece to the folded back piece. I sewed scant 1cm side seams to try to correct for this but the top has still come out a little smaller than I intended.
For the sleeves (no photos) I simply used the sleeve pattern piece, folded in half, to give me a guide for the top of the shoulders, sewed a new sleeve seam about 2cm in from the original sleeve edges, and then set them back in to the newly sewn top.
I now have a top that I think I’ll be happy to wear:
And on Dolly
This took me a couple of hours, but I think it was worth it. I also own this same top in purple and black (I think I bought them as a pack a few years ago). The black one isn’t as horribly sack-like as the brown – in fact I’m wearing it as I type, with a belt. I can only guess that that fabrics are slightly different and the black one shrank more in the wash. The purple one is another sack with a beaded neckline, so I guess it’ll get the same treatment as the brown at some point.
Now my serger is threaded with brown (well the closest threads I have to brown in my stash) I suppose I should go and get on with sewing the brown jersey top that’s already cut out, and the faux fur scarf.